January 17, 2013

Turkey-Vegetable Meatballs

Turkey-vegetable meatball, Indian yellow split peas, garlic Tuscan kale, and young coconut meat.
We love these turkey-vegetable meatballs. We freeze them in batches and defrost one whenever Darwin's dinner needs a little something extra. He likes being able to hold and bite into them as much as he likes the taste, I think. The easy recipe is below.

The yellow split peas are a tasty and nourishing Alice Waters recipe.

*

Turkey-Vegetable Meatballs
(makes about 20)

1 lb good quality ground turkey
1 small yellow onion
1 packed cup mixed vegetables (minced button mushrooms, grated carrot, grated zucchini)
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 whole egg
1/2 cup whole grain breadcrumbs (I made some out of the toasted ends of an Ezekial loaf)
1/2 tsp. fine grained sea salt
a swirl of extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients well, form into ping-pong sized balls and bake on parchment-paper lined baking sheet 30-45 minutes.


And here's a snack:
Swiss cheese, skinny celery sticks, sliced tomato, whole rye cracker with butter

5 comments:

  1. Do you cook the meatballs then freeze, or freeze them raw? I think we're going to make a batch this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cook then freeze. We de-frost in the toaster oven and they're ready to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bunch of ground Turkey and frozen veggie medley to do something with for my 16 month old today and I hit on your website! Yay! Yup we had these today and froze the rest, very good. I love the tray plates you have in this picture. I bet my bam bam would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these amazing meatballs. For the record, I'm probably the worst cook ever, but even I was able to make them. And my picky 15-month-old LOVED them. He ate 4 and hubby and me finished the rest. Thank you so much for this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both white and brown rice contain mainly carbohydrate and some protein, with virtually no fat or sugar. Cooked best brown rice contains a lot of water, making up almost 70% of its total weight.

    ReplyDelete