January 17, 2013

Turkey-Vegetable Meatballs

Turkey-vegetable meatball, Indian yellow split peas, garlic Tuscan kale, and young coconut meat.
We love these turkey-vegetable meatballs. We freeze them in batches and defrost one whenever Darwin's dinner needs a little something extra. He likes being able to hold and bite into them as much as he likes the taste, I think. The easy recipe is below.

The yellow split peas are a tasty and nourishing Alice Waters recipe.

*

Turkey-Vegetable Meatballs
(makes about 20)

1 lb good quality ground turkey
1 small yellow onion
1 packed cup mixed vegetables (minced button mushrooms, grated carrot, grated zucchini)
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 whole egg
1/2 cup whole grain breadcrumbs (I made some out of the toasted ends of an Ezekial loaf)
1/2 tsp. fine grained sea salt
a swirl of extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients well, form into ping-pong sized balls and bake on parchment-paper lined baking sheet 30-45 minutes.


And here's a snack:
Swiss cheese, skinny celery sticks, sliced tomato, whole rye cracker with butter

4 comments:

  1. Do you cook the meatballs then freeze, or freeze them raw? I think we're going to make a batch this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cook then freeze. We de-frost in the toaster oven and they're ready to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bunch of ground Turkey and frozen veggie medley to do something with for my 16 month old today and I hit on your website! Yay! Yup we had these today and froze the rest, very good. I love the tray plates you have in this picture. I bet my bam bam would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these amazing meatballs. For the record, I'm probably the worst cook ever, but even I was able to make them. And my picky 15-month-old LOVED them. He ate 4 and hubby and me finished the rest. Thank you so much for this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete