April 4, 2013

Chicken Broth Under Pressure

You can't smell this picture, which is very sad. I know it's sad because I made this luscious broth while deeply affected by what I call "the cartridge of snot" (I know, I know, food blog) and I had to rely on Darwin's daddy to tell me how amazing it smelled. Thankfully, I could still pick up the flavor: rich, silky, elemental.

With a pinch of sea salt and a hit of minced parsley, this homemade bone broth is ready to sip.

Darwin loves it, gently warmed, and asks for it: "want-a drink-a broth." I feel good about serving him this mineral-rich, traditional food, which has a different nutrient-profile from meat itself.

You can, of course, make this broth just as well the old-fashioned way, by simmering it slowly for about 24 hours. We have cats who roam on the stovetop in the middle of the night(!?), so that's not an option for us. Even if your cats are better-behaved than ours, however, you should still consider these compelling reasons for making broth under pressure. Enjoy!

Pressure Cooker Chicken Broth
1 hour
 
chicken bones or carcass*
1 carrot, halved
handful celery tops and leaves
1/2 or whole onion, cut into large chunks
1 tsp. cider vinegar (to maximize leaching of minerals into the broth)

Dump all ingredients in pressure cooker.

Add water just enough to cover the bones.

Bring the cooker to high pressure over high heat, then reduce heat to low, until the cooker is barely hissing.

Set a timer for 1 hour, or 90 minutes if you like. Turn down the heat if at any time the steam becomes forceful. (Lower heat = steadier high pressure.)

Remove cooker from heat when the time is up, and allow to depressurize naturally. Strain solids through a wire-mesh strainer, then sip or chill until ready to use.

*Any number of bones will work. Even if you have only a few thigh bones, it's worth making a batch of broth.
mmm, broth

2 comments:

  1. Your broth looks lovely! I am about to make some broth today, too. I use the slow-cooker method but am intrigued by using a pressure cooker (sure would be nice to have the broth in less than twelve hours). Maybe I will have to consider getting one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, enjoy yours! The pressure cooker is pretty amazing, I'll admit. Ours was a gift. I cook big batches of beans once a week.

    ReplyDelete