March 12, 2013

Cottage Cheese Pancakes

I can get a little loud (let's say not annoyingly so) about my Eastern European roots when it comes to foods like sauerkraut, cabbage soup, and cottage cheese pancakes. This is true, as it turns out, even when the recipe is only loosely based on actual regional cuisine.

These pancakes are a cross between American breakfast pancakes and a sweet Russian farmer's cheese pancake called syrniki. Fluffy, creamy, faintly savory in a way that begs for a counterpoint of sweet fruit, they'll reverse the (sad and inexplicable, in my opinion) bad rap of cottage cheese.

My parents used to make these for my brother and I as kids, and they haven't lost their ease or their appeal. The batter practically falls together in the bowl, and the hot pancakes taste so rich and simple, there's no need to add more than fresh fruit at the table.

My kiddo loves these (OK, so he usually gobbles the blueberries off the top first, but the pancakes shortly follow.) They even make for decent leftovers, as a cold take-along snack.

What are your favorite heritage recipes to share with your little ones?

Cottage Cheese Pancakes
Serves 4

3 whole eggs
1 cup 4% milkfat cottage cheese
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbls. melted butter
pinch salt

Whisk eggs, cheese, butter and salt together in a bowl. Add flour and stir to until combined, but not over-mixed.

Ladle pancakes into a lightly buttered non-stick pan over medium heat. Flip when the first side is nicely marbled and golden, then cook through.

Plate and top with fresh fruit for a decadent, protein-rich part of breakfast or lunch.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, these look wonderful! I always have those ingredients in my kitchen, so I'll be making those soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made these at least 100 times by now. This recipe is perfect. I cook triple and quadruple batches, then freeze the extras for quick microwavable breakfasts in the morning before school. My kids love them, and they have a ton of protein so I love having them for all meals of the day. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete