February 6, 2013

Simple Plates #2

lemony ginger split pea soup, blueberries, whole plain yogurt
Split pea soups are easy, cheap, and deeply flavorful, even with few ingredients. They're a great legume to experiment with if you're new to legumes. I made the above soup with carrots, celery, onion, ginger, cumin, turmeric, yellow split peas, and lemon juice.

strawberry and kiwi slices, garlicky curly kale, sweet potato rounds coated in shredded unsweetened coconut
I'll never stop experimenting with sweet potatoes!

natural peanut butter on Ezekial toast, apple chunks, avocado

red lentil dal with whole plain yogurt, apple chunk, garlicky greens

eating sauerkraut

steamed carrot coins and chopped fresh green beans, turkey-vegetable meatball, strawberries, avocado, whole wheat pita chips and hummus

creamed spinach, blueberries, peanut butter on Ezekial toast, sweet potato rounds
My parents used to make "creamed spinach" for my brother and I when we were kids. It swam in little 1950s-era ramekins placed next to our dinner plates, and we'd stab into the hot cream with our kid-forks to eat it. I'll have to ask my mother how she used to make it, but here I briefly simmered a handful of fresh spinach in half-and-half, and it tasted just like I remember it. Darwin gobbled it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment